About the Cause
Foodnet Needs Wheels!
- Foodnet Meals on Wheels is the only non-profit organization in Tompkins Country providing year-round home-delivered meals five days per week to senior citizens and people with disabilities.
- According to the U.S. Administration on Aging, 87 percent of older Americans have a chronic disease that can be improved through nutrition. About 40 per cent of community dwelling older adults have inadequate food and nutrient intake, which affects their health and ability to function independently.
- Foodnet provides 1-2 meals a day to about 500 people. These meals are delivered door to door (home delivered meals) by our van drivers and to group sites where clients can eat in community (congregate sites).
- In addition to daily meals, Foodnet provides each client nutrition assessment, nutrition counseling and outside service referrals. The purposes of these programs are to improve health, improve dietary intakes, offer participants opportunities to form new friendships, encourage informal support systems, and link participants to other health and supportive services.
- Adequate nutrition is really an investment in our community. Regular, healthy meals result in fewer chronic conditions such as diabetes and heart disease and also means there are fewer and shorter hospitalizations (fewer Medicare $).
- Programmatic cost of each meal is: $8.00 per hot meal, $1.50 per sandwich meal, and $6.50 per weekend meal
- In 2011 Foodnet served a total of 213,000 total meals. Of these meals, 183,000 were home delivered and 30,000 went to congregate sites. Since 2011, the number of meals has gone up.
- Our Mission: Foodnet Meals on Wheels mission is to provide meals and other nutrition services that promote dignity, well being and independence for older adults and other persons in need inTompkinsCounty.
- Our Vision: We envision aTompkinsCounty community in which senior hunger is eliminated, supportive services are readily accessible, and our neighbors enjoy independence without isolation.